Friday 6 June 2014

Monday, June 2nd, 2014

Jaffray, British Columbia

Pulling Over

A man pulled over as I was walking on the Crowsnest Pass.  He just came from his nightshift work and asked, “Can I give you a ride?”

Quite routine, as far as my reply is concerned, but with some heart, I mentioned that I can’t accept a lift because my project doesn’t call for that.  I handed him my card with my name and short bio.  On the reverse side is the fully spelled out maha mantra beginning with “Hare Krishna”.  I qualified my role as a monastic person with a portfolio as a walker, a pilgrim, and how I wanted to see more people take care of their physical and spiritual selves.

The man wanted to know where I stay at night, and I let him know that I tent-it-out with a small support team.  He was compelled to reach into his pocket and pull out a twenty dollar donation.  This, I very much appreciated, and let him know that putting energy into this healing-the-heart while-hurting-the-heels is a worthy project. 

It was a rather brief exchange and wonderful.  This kind soul took the opportunity to be of service to others.

In the afternoon I met another man who pulled over, but it was obvious from his questions and gestures that his intentions were not very sattvic or clean.  I relayed to Michael the story and Michael who had also trekked the country mentioned that he had also met those types while on the journey. 

In a more compassionate moment, I managed to pull out a thought in wishing the man well after the incident, and I hoped that he would seek the opportunity for higher tastes in life, namely, the spiritual component.  I chose to reflect on the image that I saw between the exchanges of the two pulling-over people.  I had watched a herd of elk cross the river in the valley.  That was awesome, God’s mercy.  It left me sleeping with good thoughts.

May the Source be with you!

35 KM

No comments: