Friday 20 June 2014

Sunday, June 15th, 2014

Midway, British Columbia
 
Off the Grid
 
 
Usually there’s a railway line that parallels the road.  There may also be a creek running along, or a river.  In today’s case it is Kettle Creek.  We also have the Trans Canada Trail which I’ve been tempted to trek from time-to-time.  That path is practically visible from the road’s view, Hwy 3 or the Crows Nest Pass.  I also happened to be walking close to another line, the invisible 49th parallel that separates the U.S. and Canada in the western section of North America.
 
Despite the various divides and lines that man has created, our wildlife just doesn’t understand our grids.  As I was leaving Greenwood I saw a large moose leap a fence, cross the highway, and then occupy ground on a grassy mountain slope.
 
Motorists stopped to flick their cameras at the majestic creature.  The moose, apparently, was not alone.  It turns out she’s a mother and her two calves were left on the other side of the road and fence.  She boldly crossed the road once again to unite with her young. Somehow, instinctively she leapt the fence once again quite close to my spot of standing.
 
The two adorable calves just couldn’t make the leap their mother made.  They were once again separated by fence, road, traffic, and ditch.  It was a real drama when she leapt back leaving her kids confused and she disappeared beyond the trees.
 
I and a number of motorists stood in awe seeing the interaction of kids and mum in a natural adventure.  How absolutely heart-warming it was at that pivotal moment when the two calves ran to their parent in a most anxious mode.
 
Love is a powerful thing.  It is especially powerful when it takes Absolute status.  And speaking of love I want to offer my congratulations to all the dads of this world on this Father’s Day.  My reflection goes to my own father who is deceased but was a great dad.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
37 KM

No comments: