Wednesday 17 April 2013

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013

Never Alone
 
Toronto, Ontario
 
For today I basically spun around the temple for the early walk.  The sky appeared threatening for rain, so I stuck by and near the shelter that I know.  Should there come a sudden downpour, I would make a sudden dash for it. 
 
Running, in general, is not my thing.  Walking is.  I think that perhaps that at an age, I’m 60, going for a run is less appealing.  It wasn’t always like that.  I recall in public school, just in my preteens, I had a bit of a reputation among peers for being a high speed runner at field day.  Maybe it was the 100 yard dash.  In any case there was a period in youth hood where I could fly.  Those were the days. 
 
The newspaper delivery guy sprinted past me. When it was not drops of rain that were a threat, but just a plain chill that struck the body, urging me to make it my last revolution, clockwise around the building.  I settled for aggressive pacing inside and to be content that God is inside as much as outside, especially if it be a temple. 
 
This is Upanishadic thinking; God is within and without.  God is near and also far.  God is fast and yet doesn’t move at all.  Just to stretch the concept; God is wet and also dry, can be found in rain and snow, in the sun, the wind.  Nowhere is there an absence of the absolute. 
 
Conclusion: we should never feel alone.
 
4 KM

1 comment:

Jessica M said...

Very introspective piece. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the message-that we are never alone.

It reminds me of a purport in the Gita As It Is, when Srila Prabhupada likens the relationship of the Paramatma to the soul as a bee to a flower, calling the Paramatma the "soul's constant companion". That was an illustration that really stuck with me.