Monday 15 April 2013

Sunday, April 14th, 2013

There Is No Question

Brampton, Ontario

There is no question that one of the reasons for daily trekking apart from what might be considered downtime, is to look after the health. I am constantly reminded of this priority after doing the pastoral duty of making a hospital visit.

I was invited to speak at the ISKCON Brampton centre, and in order to do so I would need a lift, but, my condition to Rajnish, the driver, was, “I’ll meet you somewhere in the middle.” We agreed to meet at a major juncture – a place where a saffron clad body could easily be detected.

The Brampton mission was accomplished, followed by a visit to Trillium Hospital, patient Aniruddha has been bed ridden and struggling with his brain tumour. Doctors have given up on surgery and other methods. All has been tried. Only the miracle of a prayer and chanting could turn things into a more favourable light.

Aniruddha was there with family, wife and children, extended family and friends all around him. People had come from as far as Chicago, Dubai, and India to be with him. And now I had joined the rank of well wishers. He was in a good, deep slumber when I arrived. It was not at my request, but his dad hurriedly woke him up. His eyelids slowly opened. It took him sometime to register the presence of my Mauritian companions and I. Once consciousness was full he began to speak. It was most devotional. We sang for him. I was happy for him, an optimism enveloped him. As expressed before in my slightly instructive mode, health can fail at any moment, so why not extend our stay here on Earth as long as we can stretch it. Aniruddha’s condition was a reminder of how we need to look after our equipment (the body), and I make no judgment or implication that our dear Aniruddha was irresponsible in that regard. Ultimately, you know who’s in charge. Blessings to Aniruddha.

7 KM

No comments: