Monday 22 April 2013

Saturday, April 20th, 2013

Still Raj

North York, Ontario

Walking today entailed circling around a shrine at the Tagore centre. This event is the 21st annual Ashtaprahar, which is a 24 hour chanting session as is traditionally done in the Bangla part of India. This refers to the mid eastern section, Bengal, Orissa, and also including Bangladesh.

Now, I could be wrong about making the following statement, we were the first. Before 24 hour kirtan or 12 hour or 6 hour or even 72 hour nonstop kirtan became popular around the world, especially around ISKCON centres, our humble efforts with the Bengali community in this North York location on Millwick Drive was already in full swing. These marathons of mantra power have been a part of my devotional life since that time. It is now intrinsically with many people a global reality.

As I made my rounds about the icons of Jagannatha (Krishna in the wooden image), I moved in a synchronized way with my mostly Bengali friends who were attendees since day 1. I marvel at their stalwart loyalty. I know many faces here, not all their names though. It’s okay, we understand and know each other. I also remember the women who are adept at the ululating. That is always resourceful when I have the mic in hand and I need their voices to resonate at a peak moment of the kirtan chanting.

I will not forget my dear friend Raj Sarangi, who died of a brain tumour. He is the real star of the show, even some years after his passing. It was he who initiated these nonstop chanting sessions 21 years before. He believed in it, promoted it, and maintained it, only to linger now in spirit with his enthusiasm intact. I can still see him in the circle with me. He had all this passion about him, he still dances with us, sings with us, and interruptingly dashes to assist or fix a flaw in the sound system. That was Raj, and he is still there. Bless his heart.

4 KM

No comments: