Friday 22 January 2010

Wednesday, January 20th, 2010

The Earth Knows Good and Bad

Toronto, Ontario

I really delighted in speaking from the verse of today out of the book, Bhagavatam. Before my presentation, our small group of devotees in the ashram had suggested that one of our three women living in the ashram speak. Even though I gave her sufficient time to prepare for it, she felt shy and declined my offer. Premavati, a Quebec born woman, is a fine example of what is a devotee of Krishna, and she is most qualified to speak and I do like to hear others speak and not just hear myself. Oh, well! We’ll give her another shot at it ‘down the road’ (a favorite expression of mine).

In any event, a chapter in Canto Five of Bhagavatam reveals the prayers of Mother Earth. The Earth is in reverence of Father God. Father God acts in such a way as to save the Earth from turmoil. In the form of a majestic boar named, Varaha, Father God protected Mother Earth from a big tyrant, Hiranyaksha. Mother Earth expresses gratitude for the job done.

In this chapter, residents of Earth speak of their realization which is highly philosophical and deep. I wish I could say the same for current Earthlings. There are a lot of good people out there and it is thoroughly encouraging to see the response from the world in prayer, in kind, in food, and other forms of aid going to Haitian victims. Please don’t mistake me. I firmly believe in the good of all.

However, let’s not be naïve. There is another side to us. I can’t refrain from having that balanced look at the human race. We could all and should all do better. Let’s face it, most of us are quite self-centered. I couldn’t help saying in this morning’s class that many folks live from refrigerator to toilet with little or no spiritual direction. We deprived ourselves of introspection and appropriate action.

Our frail Earth suffers when it shakes and cracks at earthquakes, and suffers again at the popping of its pimples (volcanoes); what to speak of wars and famines. Our dear Earth could be in a better and more tolerable way. We need only to improve our service to each other.

4 Km

No comments: