Tuesday 19 January 2010

Friday, January 15th, 2010

Ugly Face Dog

Dallas, Texas

I might speak about people and the things I pick up from them that I learn. I may even see some of them as gurus in the sense of having taken inspiration from their actions or words, whether it was intended to help me personally or not. Things just happen in the course of the day that are instructive or point the way or give some direction. And it doesn’t always come from humans.

After a long day of meetings and drama practices with our local youth, I took to a trail, an old railway line converted into a paved path. It was late. What to do? A dress/tech rehearsal took us to that point in time. I thought to start my japa (chanting commitment on meditation beads) for the day and get an early start.

Over that stretch of time – 1 ½ hours – I met no one except for what seemed to be a displaced woman walking down this trail situated along Santa Fe Street. Out of the dark came a bark. It was a dog, no doubt. He appeared homeless – a stray dog sniffing about going here and there. We were curious of each other. I let him know I’m friendly. This is a déjà vu because I’ve met plenty of dogs in the past. Dallas, I understood has some free-roamers.

I stopped for him and beckoned him forward. I bent over, outstretching my hand, so he could receive me. He did come forward and as he got close, I could not make out what breed he belonged to. As I got two hand lengths from his face, I could see that he was an extraordinarily ugly dog which might explain why he was on his own. I overlooked his looks and accepted him as companion. I was happy to have him with me.

He walked by my side and would periodically go to the side to mark his territory in the way dogs do. What did I learn from him for the short span of time I was with him? Well, detachment. Let the whole world be your home. And may everyone you come upon be your friend. Important points for sure!

This dog with the most homely face just didn’t cut it with the looks, but he had a heart, and I was kind of hurt when he left me, frankly. I missed my pal with the ugly face.

7 Km

No comments: