Thursday 30 July 2009

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009

The Uniform

Toronto, Ontario

It is just big promotion being out in the public with robes. I recently had my trusted helpers Deva Datta and Nipuna give my dhotis, kurtas, and chauddars, bottoms, tops and shawl respectively a fresh dye job. It left the colors rich and really make the cloth stand out.

I crossed the street at the bustling rush hour and a guy and his girl friend in a SUV recognized me. “Hey, you’re the guy form the Yogafest in Thunder Bay. There was this dance on the stage.” He said with excitement.

“You’ve got it right, “ I reciprocated.

Next our young Josh from South Africa is beginning to get comfortable with handing out flyers, mantra cards, and books. He had made an effort but monks do often experience public rejection for such things. Josh spotted me from afar. He was a little discouraged. I guess providence timed it for me to meet him, I pat him on the back and offer words of encouragement.

As day fell and night began color becomes less obvious but robes are rare and a dear friend, former-monk, RSI, and family spotted me. A few words of encouragement occupied some minutes here as well.

I cannot emphasize the importance for us monks and nuns to become more visible in the public eye. Uniforms have their place in this world. People look forward to seeing the shaven heads, the markings on the forehead, the robes, the beads. I say let’s give people what they want.

7 KM

No comments: