Wednesday 8 July 2009

Sunday, July 5th, 2009

Krishna and Cricket

Brampton, Ontario

I decided to walk from Woodbridge, a relaxed and well-kept residential community, to the Krishna center in Brampton with a passionate cricket player. If you can fancy that. I had my deep saffron on and he had his blue cricket team uniform on with his team’s cap and shoes. Where we drew similar lines was in the bead bags which each of us carried in the right hand. Motorists noticed. Some honked for the cricket sportsman, some for the monk and some for both. We engaged in personal meditation of chanting. We also broke into conversations, with my cricket friend a little over half my age he asked for some clarification on spiritual topics. Reciprocally I asked about the nature of the game cricket.

After fifteen kilometers which passed by like lightening flashed we terminate our walking together. I wished him well in the game with the hope to win while I proceeded to speak before the community of devotional enthusiasts. Incidentally my cricket friend loves to chant and for him to complete a round on beads is like making a winning strike.

I had come to learn that another member of our Toronto community was a professional cricket player in India (actually world famous) but he came to Canada to start a new life.

My conclusion on this is that you will find sportsmen who are also crazy about God.

The message in Brampton for the community seemed to hit a home run when we suggested that God is not just interested in your offerings of food, flowers, water, donations and so on. There is also an interest on his behalf to see your offerings of tolerance, perseverance, patience and kindness. The kind of stuff for a cricket player or anyone for that matter.

No comments: