Monday 6 July 2009

Saturday, July 4th, 2009

Easy Encounters

Toronto, Ontario

The chemical smell from the freshly applied floor varnish was too much to handle. I had to get out of the temple building. So out I went towards my destination of Victoria Park on Danforth ave. We are talking about, “on foot”. Of course.

A stationary cyclist said, “Hey those clothes are cool! I mean it! They must be real comfortable.”

Further on a couple of happy beer sippers sitting outside a bar asked for my attention. “I hadn’t seen you guys for a long time. I thought you closed down.”

“Not a chance”, I remarked. “We’re still around. In fact our second and third generation is proving to bear the torch we are giving them.”

“That’s good.”

“But pray for us” I requested as I handed out cards to the upcoming Ratha Yatra, an outdoor event. “We’re in trouble if the garbage strike continues and ferry operations are closed to get to the island.” They said they would pray for us and I thought that was extraordinary.

I also met Julian form Iraq. He was curious. “I got up at 1:30 am with my head to the floor praying to Allah. Were you up then?”, He asked.

“I usually am as a matter of fact”, I told him.

“Where do you believe God is?” he pressed on.

“Everywhere” , I responded.

“Do you really believe that”

“Yes”.

“So do I”, he said.

We shook hands and made friends.

My next encounter was a white man sitting outside at a cafĂ© with his family. He beckoned me forward so I came close. “Do you have any literature?” Embarrassed to admit not having even the smallest pamphlet I could at least satisfy him with a card- an invitation to Ratha Yatra/Festival of India.

The greatest brief meeting of all was when some folks offered a respectful obeisance to the swami, me, at the start of a busy bridge. Their heads went straight to the ground. It turns out they just returned from a wedding and then while driving spotted the robes. They were from Atlanta and New York.

What a great day of encounters!

20 KM

No comments: