Tuesday 28 July 2009

Monday, July 27th, 2009

The Want to Do Something

Penn. State College. Pennsylvania

The small summer group of students here who conduct a Vedic society asked that I relay some pedestrian pastimes of cross-nation walking. So I did. They reciprocated by showing me on the internet screen what they as a group are doing on campus as far as outreach is concerned. I saw people dancing to the Krishna mantra.

“You see these people? They're members of the campus Athiest society. They yoga (connect with), mantras and dancing.” Said the co-ordinator, Ganga.

“that’s quite remarkable.” I thought.

Through my travels today homeward bound I read and heard more data that took my interest such as this information had.

I read that population concerns have arisen again. By 2050 there will be 9 billion people on the planet. Who will feed them? The earth is straining now.

A physician sitting next to me on a flight back mentioned that the sex industry runs a 13 billion dollar profit annually and it is recession proof. This goes to show what people’s priorities may be. We can go on with global facts and figures. Certainly while walking such facts are worth pondering. Better still, better worth praying and doing something about. The impending problems can be overwhelming at times. I know I’m not the only one with such concerns. I for one cannot begin to comprehend the length and breath or scope or depth of our global challenges.

Someone might say, “why worry? Challenges were always there.”

But I respond with, Someone cared and did something about those challenges. It takes a collective concern.”

If our Guru, for instance, Srila Prabhupada, had no feeling for people and had no hope, then he would not have taken a journey by an ocean liner at age 70 to begin a revolution in thought when he came to America.

6 KM

No comments: