Friday 11 December 2020

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Cabbagetown, Toronto

 

Squash the Term Pumpkin

 

Our cook, Dwarkanath, made this amazing pumpkin cake. It was baked to perfection; somewhat moist and sweet. Since pumpkin is a fruit I hope no sugar was added, especially that dreadful worst of foods—white sugar.

 

I do have a small issue with my friends from India or Bangladesh, that cook or bake, over the use of the word “pumpkin.” “Pumpkin,” I tell them, without malice, “is roundish, orange and is a member of the squash family.” I also mention that our indigenous people of this area grew squash for centuries and pumpkin is one of them. In fact, at lunchtime I sat down with Dwarkanath and learned a lot from him about cooking Indian-style. However, I will never let go of my, perhaps obstinacy, over the difference between a pumpkin and a squash. Well, they are one but different. If someone was to hold a gorgeous acorn squash with green tones and call it a pumpkin I would passionately object. A major resolve on the matter is that a prep should taste good and be offered to Krishna, regardless.

 

Anyway, it turns out that the cake was made of squash. It was good and I decided to take two squares of it to two nice devotees from Croatia, who did some work on our first attempt at filming a drama. The couple live in Cabbagetown, but where people do play squash. You can look online to explore the meaning of the word in the supportive context. I guess I will too. Oh well, Hare Krishna!

 

Maybe the source be with you!

5 km


 

No comments: