Sunday 6 November 2016

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016

Alachua, Florida 

To See or Not To See

“What is an armadillo doing rustling around near our trail?” asked our small group, en route to a water spring for a swim.  This leathery armoured guy can’t see very well but apparently his sense of smell is good.  I looked it up later and discovered that his foraging is actually about searching for grubs, worms and insects.  Bon appétit!

Somehow he felt our presence, despite his blindness.  He reminded me of King Dhrtarastra from the Vedic epic, Mahabharata.  He was blind on two levels.  Physically he could not see, and spiritually he lacked insightfulness.

An interesting character, he was.  He could have stopped a war.  But conflict ensued out of affection for his sons.

In any event, our swim was good.  I connected with Ugrani whom I haven’t seen for twenty years.  It was also valuable time to share with younger members, Devala and Saci, in their twenties.

All this was good, which added to the sweet and sober morning of honouring our guru, Srila Prabhupada, on the anniversary of his passing.  Being the guest (although not the senior-most person, but a swami-ji) I was asked to speak first, about my realizations and reflections on his contributions to the world.

I was a product of the counter-culture and felt I needn’t take hearing from authority seriously.  At the same time, I required direction in life.  I met Prabhupada’s students.  It is through them that I was formed into some kind of devotee.

I was blind and through their guidance and encouragement I could see some positive change in me.  Thanks to my dear guru, Srila Prabhupada, life has improved.  I still have a ways to go.

May the Source be with you!


6 km

No comments: