Thursday 3 November 2016

Sunday, October 30th, 2016

Toronto, Ontario

Before the Event 

In preparation for the Diwali New Year program, I put on my Kyboot shoes and headed for the ravine.  I took three people with me—Ananda Vrindavana from Argentina, Santosh from Surinam and another Vrindavan from Toronto.

How is a mere walk a form of preparation?  Well, I’ll be dealing with the crowd that comes.

#1.  The walking (in the ravine) allows a needed down-time.  #2.  I need that breath of fresh air before the building fills up with stuffiness.  #3.  The walking improves my lung power as I’ll be giving the talk, leading a song and narrating a soliloquy in a play, “Maricha’s Deliberation.”  #4.  The walk opens up channels of communication as there are other walkers to connect with.

On this last point, the four of us were in the ravine on the trail and we were dressed in devotional attire.  Two women were coming our way and so to break the ice, I greeted them with a remark, “No, we’re not on Halloween!”  So that encouraged a chuckle from them.

The other means of communication was to mention to other walkers how adorable their dogs are.  Where attention goes, energy flows.  Honourable mention of someone’s pet starts good relations.

The four of us completed our hour-long venture.  I, and they, were now ready to take on the crowd for Diwali.  Hundreds came; many of them first-timers.  It was a lively fest.  Happy souls were floating about in the spirit of devotional practice.

May the Source be with you!


5 km

No comments: