Monday 7 September 2015

Sunday, August 30th, 2015

Sunday, August 30th, 2015
Plainfield, New Jersey

Rushed

I was rushed to the temple prior to the crack of dawn for the mangal arati, the first chanting session of the day. I was given the invite to lead the chant on this very first arati since the new Krishna deity was installed. It was an honour. Before arriving, I figured that it might be a meagre attendance, being that it was 4:30 AM and everyone was tired from the festivities of the day and night before.

Much to my surprise, we had a full capacity attendance. This goes to show the serious nature to which the community takes to soul activity. It’s a solid investment into life’s journey.

It was three hours later that my dear godbrother, Jayadwaita Swami, shared a message on the significance of our guru, Srila Prabhupada, and his coming 50 years ago to western soil to bring a new way of looking at the world, through a spiritual lens of course, for people’s consideration. It was not that the western populace was spiritually bankrupt but maybe it was time to look at a different angle of spirituality.

There are different approaches, correct?

To my chagrin I once more found no time to go on a promenade of sorts. We have all been on a marathon. So instead of walking I found at one point it was necessary for me to catch up on a much missed rest by a quiet corner of one of the festival tents. I assembled a makeshift bed with 7 chairs. It worked wonders.

Finally it was time to fly back to Canada.

The passenger sitting next to me was a 30 year old Russell, a typical Canadian who’s into sports, has the occasional beer, and experiences his own form of adventure. Recently he and buddies rafted some of the wildest white waters the country offers near James Bay. He also told me he was thrilled about a book he read, “Dharma Bums”, and so we connected on various levels.

“Come by to our Govinda’s, it’s a great eating place.” I personally think he’ll take up the offer when we can share with each other more about travel dynamics in the wild.


May the Source be with you!

0 km

 

No comments: