Monday 19 January 2015

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015

Longdenville, Trinidad
 
Chikungunya
 
Mosquitoes don't seem to bother those of us who take our anticipated strolls in the suburb nearby the ISKCON centre.  They do, however, seem to land on me at night and do their little drill job during my sleep.  They are minuscule in size in comparison to the ones I am accustomed to.  Fast and light and noiseless would be an additional description of these pesky guys here in Trinidad.
 
This is definitely an adibhautika place, meaning in Sanskrit, a living entity that evokes misery. 
 
I've been informed about the dreaded virus going around that mosquitoes apparently carry in the Caribbean - a virus so agonizing it gives rash, headaches, fever and crippling joint pains.  It goes by the name Chikungunya.  One Jamaican dance-all artist scored a big hit with his song that goes:
 
"Mosquito one, mosquito two / mosquito jump inna hot callaloo - 
Mosquito bite me mosquito bite you / me me tell yuh what a mosquito can do"
 
What I have to remember is that there is a spirit soul in that mosquito's body, a spark of life, who feels justified in what he is doing.  There is a right to life set in the mentality.  At the same time the person being attacked has that same right to existence.  It starts to look as a case of survival of the fittest.
 
My last class delivered in the Caribbean (this morning) was based on the principle of coexistence. Admittedly it had more to do with humans to humans.  That is a major feat in itself, what to speak of the little aircraft with the drill bits trying to coexist with humans. 
 
Welcome to the material world. May the Source be with you!
 
6 KM

No comments: