Friday 2 January 2015

Monday, December 29th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario
 
The Avatar Who's Known to Walk
 
 
I anticipated a day of excitement in the environment of devotional service which was to include an evening practice on our drama, "Blue Mystic".  Rising on a usual day, the thrill of early morning sadhana sparks before a 4:30 am arati.  We start with song and dance, an offering to guru and Krishna.  Then a trek through the neighborhood with eager devotees becomes a real catch for fresh air.  We return for more mantra meditation followed by a class facilitated these days by myself.  The current topic being the walking avatar who goes by the name of Vamana. 
 
So the story of Vamana and his interesting encounter with Bali, conqueror of the universe, entails the unfolding of rich traits of human character.  Personally I have read the epical scale book Bhagavatam several times over and I still become stunned at each new reading by the depth of dimension in regards to the interaction of these two personalities.  I find myself venturing new territory even though I've been down this trail before. 
 
What comes as a "new to me" is the respectful response to words and actions projected by the two characters.  Their very dealings embody humility, introspection, a purging and other dynamics.  To me it is totally fascinating, particularly how the events lead to the modest voluntary post taken by the walking avatar.  He becomes a doorman to Bali's domain.  Content with menial service and relishing the place where adulation generally doesn't find itself.  There is something for all of us to learn from this story.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
5 KM

No comments: