Friday 2 January 2015

Thursday, December 25th, 2014

Brick and Bark

Toronto, Ontario

A Reflective Track


Squirrels.  They’re all over the place, scurrying about, digging from earth storage of nuts and other concealed treats.  On ground or tree level, they’re making an incredible appearance, a response to mild weather, I guess. 

It’s features of nature like this that make the day complete.  Just one little guy perched on a branch at eye level became a mere reminder for me of the glory of anti-urbanization, because during my outdoor ventures through concrete zones, I am provided with a break.  “Thanks little fella,” I pensed, “you just brought me closer to Krishna with your jerky tail and animated loveliness.”

When looking at concrete and doing some building gazing, it just doesn’t do the same for a person when compared to being in a pastoral presence.  I’m grateful for green, or even brown spaces in the city that reflect a gentler world.  I pass through Allan Gardens and also ambled along through Jarvis Street which has this unique blend of Victorian stateliness, and glass modernity.  It still doesn’t beat seeing the community of the black bushy chaps.  I can always appreciate the artistry of man, but it never measures up to the creativity of the natural world’s artist. 

On my return journey from a satsang at the home of a sweet Bangladeshi household, other ashram dwellers had joined me, retracing steps through brick and bark regions.  I’m of the opinion that no one should remain in one building or machine all day.  Life can be more reciprocal than that.  Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, walked through beach and through park in this town in the 70’s, so I’ll always bear in mind the good fortune of being on a reflective track as he had done. 

May the Source be with you!

8 KM

No comments: