Wednesday 17 September 2014

Thursday, September 11th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Could Have Done More


On hindsight, I felt I could and should have done more.  I may have assessed things wrongly, but here’s my brief story.

As I was walking eastbound on Bloor Street near Castle Frank, I got close to the place where you overlook a street below.  The subway line also speeds by underneath.  I’m on a bridge and as I was trekking this section, a young oriental fellow who was leaning against the edge looking down at the traffic below, he was about of student age, looked particularly unhappy.  He was just staring, and it struck me, “Is he contemplating…  suicide?”  No!  There was this blank stare coming from him, it was very focused.  And as I passed by, I looked at him, hoping to catch his attention.  I cleared my throat and said, “Hello!  Hare!”  He turned his head toward me, but looked emotionless.  I felt a jolt of fear and concern simultaneously.  I realized that I was running late, time wise, for a lunch engagement, a rather important one.  I just kept walking.  I looked back to see that he was looking down again.  It was an eerie feeling seeing this. 

Was this cold look of his a mere urban syndrome, where you don’t bother reciprocating with people?  Or was he just depressed?  Was this soul really struggling and needing help?  Dumfounded me could have done more and reached out, and let the bok choy – baked potato lunch just wait a little longer. 

I felt guilty walking on and showing too minor a helping hand.  Good wishes was my only consolation for now, because I know sending good vibes goes a long way. 

Will I be given an opportunity to be tried again?  Probably so.  The world is full of troubled people, and less, though, of people who care.

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: