Wednesday 17 September 2014

Saturday, September 13th, 2014

Maple, Ontario

Uptown to Sheppard

It’s 12 degrees Celsius, partly cloudy.  It was truly perfect for a trek.  I left for uptown Yonge Street which was north en route to Maple, Ontario.  The intent was to cut 10 KM off of a ride that would take me to this destination, a residence for a Saturday night satsang (gathering).

So I gained from these two hours of freedom walking on a street of shops and pedestrians, young, old, and everything in between.  One sandwich sign gave me a buzz.  It was outside a tearoom and it read, “Warming up is our special tea.” Gimmicky? Yes!

I passed St. Clair Avenue, Eglinton, Lawrence, York Mills, 401 Highway, and then finally, Sheppard Avenue, where Yadunandan, the host of tonight’s satsang picked me up.  Here’s a man who’s dedicated to sharing.  He and his wife, Hemavati, regularly make packets of offered food to go to the public.  They had invited families, friends, and neighbours to have an evening of devotion.  They told of a swami (me) coming to their home, that he would speak.

I did speak, by first reading from “Krishna”, a book by our guru, Srila Prabhupada.  I tried as best as possible to make my talk, after the short reading, newcomer-friendly.  These first-timers to Krishna Consciousness appeared to be sipping the tea, warming up to the message of the Personalitea of Godhead.

It was a quaint evening topped by excellent prasadam including a favourite of mine “Gauranga potatoes”.  I had achieved out of the day a great walk and a warm gathering of good people.  What more could you want?

May the Source be with you!

10 KM

No comments: