Friday 30 May 2014

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014

Brocket, Alberta
 
The Many I Met
 
"I can't believe I'm talking to you," said Dana over the phone.  I expressed the mutual sentiment.  'Mutual' because we share the same karma of walking long distances.  Dana covered 16,000 kilometres on Canadian soil on the Trans Canada Trail.  Somehow or other he found me and contacted me.  It seemed like talking to a younger brother.  At age 40, I guess he's done what most guys wouldn't dream of.
 
What a boost it was connecting with someone who knows what you're talking about on the topic of trail ecstasy.
 
More boosts came from people.  Ronda came to join me on the road.  It happened at a rain and rainbow segment of the morning.  God, did a lot of responses come from others!  A courier, land surveyors, a rancher, a grandma, and more people came with curiosity and congratulations.  Sarah and Paula, members of the Blackfoot native community were really thrilled to meet me.  "What are you anyway?"  So I clarified and we had a great few minutes chatting with these young ladies.  Now, someone might ask what's a monk doing with a couple of young women?  Answer:  "I'm on the road.  It's public and I'm merely being neighbourly by saying something about the virtues of walking in parallel to doing something for the soul."
 
The day wound up by offering thanks to our Patel Motel owner, Kiran, in his office.  He shared with us his love for Gandhi's contemporary, another Patel, who changed the course of India's history.  And what of India's history?  Well, I tell people I meet that for millennia sages in India have roamed on foot for the sake of self-improvement and giving the wisdom they've gathered.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
36 KM

No comments: