Thursday 22 May 2014

Wednesday, May 21st, 2014

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Day At Winnipeg

Newly arrived from India are Vishvambar and his wife, Mahasundari, a young couple.  It was Vishvambar whom I lead to a park near his home, hoping that I could convince him of the joys of early morning outside freshness.   I hope he makes it a routine to get out and walk.  Both he and his wife arrived in March of this year when they were met by a blast of cold at 40 below Celsius, and just after coming from India’s temperature at 40 above.  Successfully, they have weathered the weather after the most unforgiving winter of all time (in my humble opinion).  I see that the couple are a pair of optimists.

We do have the great wisdom of the Bhagavad-gita to console us over the extremities of life.  In chapter two, the speaker, Krishna, explains that dualities such as winter and summer, come and go, as do happiness and distress.  “One must learn to tolerate them without being disturbed.”

In the afternoon, I found myself for a time in Winnipeg’s major downtown library, where 18 years before I gave an address to the inquisitive about my then trek through the nation.  While sitting there in conversation with someone, I could witness a diverse group of people in the course of my chatting.  Judging by clothes wear and behaviour, I saw extremities in people’s life approaches.  It was interesting.  In this case, I took in the dualities as entertaining and not so threatening. 

The beautiful closure to the day had me conducting a Kirtan Standards Seminar at the ISKCON Centre on 108 Chestnut Street.  Our group was discussing standards for mantra meditation, and adherence to traditions established by sages from the ancient past.  It’s always cool to have blessings that come from those who have been here before us. 

May the Source be with you!

3 KM

No comments: