Thursday 29 May 2014

Monday, May 26th, 2014

Lethbridge, Alberta
 
Beating the Pride
 
The wind was beating hard on the pride today.  The additional gusts created by the transport-trailer could almost throw you off.  At spots I had to struggle to keep that balance.  My rationale simply kept saying that it’s a good beating because that's what pride deserves.
 
The day on the road began at Coaldale.  It's 4 AM.  A local street-cleaner in his truck pulled over and asked if I wanted a ride.  I told him I'm trekking across Canada, "No rides for me, thanks!" 
 
"Really, and you're doing it in those crocs?"
 
"Well, it's good to have lightness on the feet," I said.
 
The Crowsnest Pass, or Highway 3, had been consistently an ego basher with intense traffic.  The only relief was a short three kilometre stretch amidst the Coulees along Old Man River and under a railway bridge, "the longest and tallest of its kind in the world," said a park personnel.  "The engineer's life ended in a morbid way.  He hung himself.  The project was too much pressure for him."
 
For a good portion of the day I had Karuna with me.  He's great company.  The last chunk of highway was a dalliance with wind and sun - some dust too.
 
A pick-up pulled over.  It was dust-covered.  I figured "here's a farmer."  And it was.  Out emerged a tall, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, third-generation Dutch chap who introduced himself as Dean Vanden Berg.  He said he was Christian and was curious.  I offered to say, "I'm a monk from an old tradition - roots from India.  Monks in our order spend time walking.  It's good for calming pride."
 
Dean was sweet, even offered a donation for the cause of pilgrimage.  I asked him if, being born and raised in Canada, he was into hockey.  With a wholesome smile he said, "I'm just always workin."  We shook hearty hands and he went on his way.
  
May the Source be with you!
 
36 KM

No comments: