Sunday 20 April 2014

Wednesday, April 16th, 2014

Durban, South Africa

Couldn’t Be Sweeter

The pathway has puddles.  The ground under the parking lot has waves.  The sky is wet and air is still.  Not exactly the best conditions.  I am moved to an amphitheatre where I can chant and walk simultaneously.  But, the narrow shelter above the amphitheatre does little to block out the drizzle.  Normally, I’d be trekking round and round the mandir (temple).  It’s safe staying on temple grounds.  You can’t risk meandering through the streets nearby.  Crime is really high.  In the past though, I ventured around.  You are at some advantage if you are male, and being a monk helps, I imagine.  It’s unfortunate that in the past people within the community have been murdered under circumstances.  The cause?  Myriad reasons. 

But life in South Africa is not always great.  It has it’s bubbly moments.  A monkey perched on a branch near my window was looking for opportunity.  I threw him an orange, boy did he get excited.  He left me his peels. 

Our rehearsals for the weekend entertainment have been exhilarating.  Cast members have got all this rhythm, they can dance and they can act.  A good chunk of the troupe are from the Zulu community.  Performance is up their alley. 

The chariot festival always brings out the best in people.  Bhakti practitioners come from other parts of South Africa to join in for a mixed reverence and fun.  Guests are arriving from other continents.  I’m one of them.  This is my 14th year.  I’m always given warm and great food – avocados and sandwiches especially.

The day couldn’t be sweeter really. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: