Wednesday 16 April 2014

Monday, April 14th, 2014

Durban, South Africa

To Tolerate


Kala, Tamohara and I were flying from Mauritius to South Africa.  While waiting at the airport in Johannesburg, the stopover before heading to Durban, I was reading some anecdotes from those who were with our guru.  A passage I read happened to be of an occurrence while our guru, Srila Prabhupada, had flown from Mauritius to Durban.  It was a small lesson on tolerance.

Pusta Krishna: We were flying from Mauritius to Durban on Quantus Airlines. I was seated beside Srila Prabhupada wearing my little British hat, shirt, coat and pants.  At that time there was a rugby match between South Africa and New Zealand teams, and there were a lot of rugby types on the plane. We had a seat in the non-smoking section, but people were smoking there and I was disturbed.  I was also concerned for Srila Prabhupada’s welfare.  So I asked the stewardess to please ask them to stop smoking in the non-smoking section.  She told the rugby type guys, who were drinking quite a bit as well, to stop smoking.  But they didn't stop. I was about to ask the stewardess, “Please ask them again,” when Prabhupada stopped me.  He said “What is the difference between us and them if we can’t tolerate these sort of things?  Don’t be an ordinary, common, foolish man.”

I thought the passage was instructive.  Why whine over everything?  While in the air on whatever jet, there are always little things that we persevere through. Anyway, “Sawubona!” which means, “Hello!” in Zulu.

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: