Saturday 21 July 2007

Nipissing District, Ontario

Monday, July 2, 2007

Yesterday we had spent a day in Ottawa, Canada's capital city, to partake in the nation's birthday celebrations near Parliament Hill. Our small Canwalk party made the drive there. At a modest stage set-up, I engaged not my feet but my arms for a good four hours playing a dolok (wooden Indian drum). My voice was also in full swing as I lead kirtan (chanting) for most of that time.

While chanting a fellow came up to me trying to get my attention. It was one of many motorists that I met on the highway weeks before. Small world!

So now, today, I've taken to my legs again on the road with some walking down the Kinsmen Trail in North Bay. The trail is shared by walkers, cyclists and joggers.

Maheen, a cab driver from Toronto, had been wishing to join me for weeks but couldn't find the opportunity. While driving his cab in Toronto a person flagged him down and asked him to drive him to Ottawa (with a whopping bill of $460). His prayers had been answered. This was his chance to connect with the Swami. After connecting in Ottawa, we all drove back to North Bay, where we resumed the walk. Billie the parrot also took turns on our shoulders as we were walking. She certainly draws attention to us. So it's the robes of Yovany, myself, Maheen's dark Sri Lankan skin, and Doug with his green bird that caught people's eyes--and hearts.

36 kms

No comments: