Saturday 21 October 2017

Thursday, October 19th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

Fire!  Fire!

I wasn’t sure whether or not jet lag got to me when I arrived at 7:00 a.m.  I attempted to sleep after that fifteen hour flight from Mumbai but I wasn’t feeling particularly groggy.  “To feel groggy is to feel drunk, tipsy, weak or dazed,” according to the dictionary.  That describes it.

Guess what I did? Some walking!

Ramesvara was with me.  We checked out the ravine in the Don Valley Park.  Nice day!  Smiling faces were what I saw.  Then we came out of the ravine and made a crossing at St. Clair bridge, when we saw some smoke ascending from below. I bent over to see the source and there we spotted right below us a homeless man trying to put out fairly substantial flames that were consuming his clothes and rags.  Another local woman, a pedestrian also peered down to see this display.  I phoned 911 immediately and was directed to the fire department.  Within seven minutes they arrived and pulled out their power hose.  The homeless man (and lady-friend) emerged onto the street level and walked away.  The flames were put out.

That was some excitement for the morning.  But it wasn’t over.  Ramesvara headed for home.  I continued trekking through the park and there I met Silk, who recognized me from twenty years ago when she did an assignment for her anthropology class from the Krishna conscious point of view.  Silk had five companions with her and of all things, a fire, lit by hardwood log pieces.

“What’s up, Silk?”

“This is a city approved fire, a sacred one, to give attention to the youth suicides amongst our native people,” she said.

What a coincidence; today, Diwali is being celebrated in Canada–the festival of flames.”

May the Source be with you!

8 km


No comments: