Saturday 14 October 2017

Friday, October 13th, 2017


Ujjain, India

Feet to Forest

It was a frivolous moment but one that flared up naturally after hours of rather formal meetings.  My door was open.  I had guests over, when two monks, actual buddies, came inside.

Sivarama Swami, one of them, looked down at my feet and remarked, “Those are the feet that did all those miles.”  I could see what was coming.  Both he and B.B. Govinda Swami impulsively grabbed my right leg.  Sivaram Swami took that foot and gave it a love bite.  He passed it on to B.B. Govinda Swami who then gave it a big kiss.  All was done in good fun.  A little embarrassed, I was, but I was happy they came to bring a phase of light-heartedness to the evening.  My guests had a good laugh at the casual nature of it all.

Who said monks can’t have a little fun?

I did have the good fortune to speak with my Russian monk friend, Bhakti Vijnana Goswami, who is suffering from insomnia, but is now improving.  He said over the phone that the compounding of administrative responsibilities had taken its toll.  “For over four months I wasn’t getting any sleep,” he said, but now he’s on a slow recovery, thank God.

The opportunity also came up, yesterday, for me to deliver the Bhagavatam class.  The verse was regarding the Pracetas, yogis who had meditated, submerged in water, and when they came out of their trance they saw the world around them in thick tree cover.  From their yogic power, they invoked from their mouths fire and wind with the intent to deforest certain areas.  Some, the god of the moon and herbs, protected and challenged them.  I received compliments from the class.  I felt quite dreamy after that.

May the Source be with you!

6 km



No comments: