Friday 2 October 2015

Sunday, September 27th, 2015

Sunday, September 27th, 2015
New Preston, Connecticut

Mark Twain’s ‘Turf’

When I walked through Hartford with Tre’von, we went past the home of author Harriet Stowe who published the bestseller, ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’. She was an abolitionist and wrote about the slave escapees in the 1800’s. I was born near Uncle Tom’s cabin so it struck my interest.

Also, to my amazement, situated next to her home was the house of writer and humorist Mark Twain (1835 - 1910). It is a real stately house. I can’t help but deliver some of his best quotes:

“Don’t let schooling interfere with your education.”

“If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.”

“I don’t like to commit myself about Heaven and Hell. You see, I have friends in both places.”

“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times.”

“Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing, it was here first.”

“Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.”

“All generalizations are false, including this one.”

“Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.”

“Anger is an acid that can do more harm than the vessel in which it is stored to anything on which it is poured.”

 
May the Source be with you!

18 miles/29 km

 

No comments: