Saturday 30 May 2015

Thursday, May 14th, 2015

Thursday, May 14th, 2015                           
Cleveland/Toledo/Michigan

Switching Cities and States


From Cleveland, Eklavya and I took a bus en route to Ann Arbor, Michigan.

There was a stopover in Toledo, a first visit for me, to this city.  Like most American cities, it is all about cars.  You hardly see pedestrians.  While here, I also wondered why, and even as we grew up as kids, people say, “Holy Toledo” to express surprise.  I believe that the phrase was also blurted out by Robin to Batman.  From what I could gather it has origins from around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century and was meant to be a sarcastic remark – Whatever!

At the bus station, we met Pranav, a 26 year old student from Gujarat, India, going to school at the University of Buffalo.  Nice guy.  Which is typical of Indian students.  Quiet.  Dutiful.  Family and studies means a lot to such individuals.  I admire that.

I offered my services.  I said, “Buffalo is close to Toronto where I live just over the border.   We can visit and do some kirtan with your friends.’  I handed him the small book, ‘Krishna:  The Reservoir of Pleasure’ for keeps.  Also, another person from Brooklyn was sitting a depot was making favorable remarks about the robes.  Sorry, but Eklavya and I had trouble discerning the gender.  This spirit soul was keen to learn and become a recipient of this same informative book. 

Destiny had it that I once again found myself Ypsilanti for a small Thursday evening gathering at the Krishna house.  This time the casual presentation was shared by Eklavya.  People are always curious to know how one gets involved in monastic life and in Krishna consciousness.  Eklavya gave a thorough description of his gradual entry into the lifestyle.  Very human and very intriguing was his explanation.

May the Source be with you!

5 km

No comments: