Tuesday 3 March 2015

Thursday, February 26th, 2015

Mayapur, India

A Cool Black Dude


Every year at this time a large group of us get to honour one of our favourite monks.  Bhakti Tirtha Swami, was born in Cleveland, Ohio.  He became a prominent figure in Princeton University before he decided to renounce worldly things to enroll in the Hare Krishna movement.  We were celebrating his birth anniversary today and also his ten years since he passed away from cancer.

He was a very personable and magnanimous type.  When I was asked to say a few things I told of my fascination always for black folks (him being one) - for their high sense of rhythm, musicology, and physical agility.  I told of how, being born in an area of Canada where black slaves in the Civil War came pouring in and settling in areas all around where I grew up.  In fact the famed Uncle Tom's Cabin was just a bike ride from where I lived as a child.  We were also just an hour's drive from Detroit, Motown.  Yes, the black boys and girls produced happy music.

In our town, Blenhem, Ontario, there were no black kids but I always hankered to meet and befriend them.  It wasn't until college that I finally had a friend of the black race.  Then I joined the movement and got to meet Bhakti Tirtha Swami, who was a real cool black dude.  He impressed me for his austerity, friendliness, and above all - being a clear demonstrator of service to others.  He was tall, well-built, spoke well, and smiled "to kill."  To kill what?  The materialistic tendencies.

In any event we are indebted to an inspirational monk, Bhakti Tirtha Swami.

May the Source be with you!

2 KM

No comments: