Friday 7 November 2014

Tuesday, November 4th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

The Bloor Walk


A drizzle did not restrict me from walking on Bloor Street West this night.  This street is always vibrant with young folks who infuse the area which is the location of the largest university in Canada.

I caught a glimpse of some people at tryouts at a dance academy.  I peeked through the window at the dance studio and it looked like guys and gals at salsa.  Somehow or other that visual helped me to see in my mind’s eye Krishna’s dalliance with the cowherd maidens, a function of His in a world far beyond Bloor.

Christmas décor and trinkets for sale are starting to creep up in window displays and shop shelves.  I’ve been a scoffer at the Yuletide event for years.  I’m fond of Jesus, but the mundane nature of Christmas in current times leaves one to wonder.  I’m reminded of the cynical comedic take on Christmas from a CD delivered to me recently, it makes me crack up to hear it.

Ekendra, the vocalist and music composer behind the piece called “Christmas Is Not On Vaishnava Calendar” actually pokes fun at Krishna culture as a fanatical Krishna monk named Yama Niyama Das Brahmachari, Ekendra’s lineup of tracks features songs like, “Simply Hell” to the likes of Jingle Bells, and “Santa Claus is Coming To Town” parallels “Yamaraja (the lord of death) Is Coming To Town”.  For more info: www.youareinmaya.com

It’s always therapeutic to laugh at yourself and your own community, which like any, has its own in-house quirky habits.  On my return stretch on the walk on Bloor, I reflected on how our ashram crew delighted in listening to it at the tail end of our Bhagavatam class. 

Down Prince Arthur I went, and passed by a high-rise where an acquaintance had thrown herself from her balcony some years back.  She did not survive.  When I walk on this street, in particularly past that building, I do so in the spirit of deeper contemplation on the fragility of this world. 

I also passed by Lee’s Palace, rock concert hall/dance club, I recall seeing the punk straight edge band, Shelter.  Those guys were in their prime in the 90’s and in the turn of the millennium.  I might be the first monk to have stepped into that place.  I was there to give support, of course, to their show.  The boys are good human beings, good devotees.  Still practicing Krishna Consciousness to my knowledge. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: