Wednesday 5 November 2014

Friday, October 31st, 2014

Miami Beach, Florida

Night of Distraction


I caught the tail-end of the night life in the Alachua area. By “night-life” I mean the deer, the fox, owl and others doing their nocturnal roaming. I was executing my japa, chanting and walking when I could hear the creatures or at least spot traces of them, all but for the armadillo. This fellow was clearly visible and active in someone’s front yard. I felt confident that this guy will achieve his tummy’s goals.

Now, if we fast-forward to Miami Beach street life we will see a world of creativity mixed with monk-taboo visuals. It’s the Halloween scene on Lincoln Road and the nighttime crowd responds well to the kirtan. Some of the attire is rather risqué but I found one costume out of this realm a real killer. One fellow was donning a costume that portrayed the Ebola virus. It was awesome! It is my experience that when you deliver the mantra with drums to a night crowd, they love you for the beat
you create. It makes them dance. Many of the onlookers clutch onto the words of the mantra. People are always willing to learn. That being said, there are some limitations to enlightenment when people are under the influence of liquor or drugs. This became clear when talking to one of the Polish devotees among us.  He said, “I try talking to the people about philosophy but they’re not in the
mood”.

It stands to reason. There is Count Dracula, Batman and Robin, cowboys and Indians and ebola personified to distract you.

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: