Saturday 9 August 2014

Friday, August 1st, 2014

Tenerife, Spain

No Trails But Devotion


Vacationers come here for the moderate temperatures.   The sun, the ocean, the clean air, the fancy shops, the night life.  It’s also not a bad place to reside in.  I find the trails to be fun, although, the southern part of the island is rather barren.  The volcanic matter that is dispersed everywhere is thrilling to a person who hails from the lowlands of central Canada. 

No, I didn’t hit any trails today, demands of time brought me to the downtown core where under a tennis court on a basement level is the local learning and devotional centre for ISKCON.  I lead some chanting and delivered a class on the importance of planning and how it is indeed integral to advancing in devotional life.  For breakfast, we had an old favourite for Krishna pioneers in the west, a prep called ‘utma’, veggies in a semolina base.  

The rest of the day was occupied in drama practice.  At downtime, the author of that delicious prep, Patita Pavana, told me of the miraculous work of one of my Cuban students.  She had a man who had been crippled for 20 years, walk again.  She actually healed him.  When I asked how it happened, he expressed she was a healer, used Reiki technique, and chanted mantras.  When I asked her personally about her healing abilities, she said, “I did nothing.  Power’s in the mantra.  I was a medium and all I did was enter into a mantra.  She began to recite the mantra that she was using, something that a number of us are familiar with. 

Jaya Sri Krishna Chaitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Sri Adwaita, Gadadhara, Srivas, Adi  Gaura Bhakta Vrinda“ .  No doubt love and concern was applied to the client.  She chanted these mantras.  The crippled man first experienced some convulsions and then walked out of his wheelchair, never to come back.

May the Source be with you!

0 KM

No comments: