Friday 14 February 2014

Sunday, February 9th, 2014

Vrindavan, India 
 
Janardan                    
 
 
Janardan is from the Philippines and joined the ashram in Toronto to become a monk in the 80's. Most recently he became a swami. People address him honourifically, as tradition has it, he is now a "Maharaj". It takes a bit for me to get use to this title.  We are proud of him.  I have worked for years together with him.  I was the president managing the Toronto temple while he was a great support and assistant. That changed when in ‘96 when I went for a long walk across Canada. He took over the presidency and is now a major coordinator in our international centre in the town that Krishna was raised in.
 
Janardan Maharaj, or Swam, said, "We are going to take advantage of your short stay here. Please lead some kirtans and give a class on Bhagavatam".  I complied in the mood, "If it helps you.”
 
It was last evening that I was already engaged in a presentation. The school academy for boys had me lead them in the chant and dance, and to say a few words that would inspire. Naturally, I dipped into the topics of pilgrimage. It looked like the hundred and more students had a bhakti blast. 
 
To follow up on the presentation, a young man who heard my talk came to me and asked my opinion about a personal project. He told me that a Sharma fellow from Delhi  has done all the research on the travels on Rama, which includes three hundred or more locations of where He did His wonders, and covers fifteen hundred kilometers.
 
"I would like to take that route. I have a passion for walking.  What do you think?" he asked.
 
How should I not encourage someone like this?  I suggested for him to team up with a friend and to share his realizations with others, encouraging them into higher consciousness.  I hope he succeeds.
 
This morning I delivered the class from the Bhagavatam, highlighting the life of luminary foot traveler, Ramanujacharya who propounded the philosophy of  “Visishtadwaita” and did much to define the personal aspect of the Divine.
 
 May the Source be with you!
 
2 KM

No comments: