Thursday 9 May 2013

Wednesday, May 8th, 2013

Scoring

Toronto, Ontario

I was trekking southbound on Yonge Street when I heard my name being called, “Bhaktimarga, Bhaktimarga!” I turned around and there was Billy.

He’s bearded now, I couldn’t recognize him in the beginning. Billy is well known in the city for his voice. For some, he is the subway singer. He composes his own songs and plays them on his acoustic guitar. They have these spiritual messages and overtones.

He decided to walk with me and then tell me of his current legal battle. This one, like all legal battles, is ugly. He asked if I could walk back with him and for me to listen to him. We reversed directions and went to an eatery where he left his backpack. A few minutes before when he saw me whizzing by the place, he was sitting at an eatery and then ran to catch me, and so now we are here in this place, run by a Muslim guy by the name of Sumir.

The hockey game on the screen revealed to me why the streets were quiet. People were indoors watching the Toronto Maple Leaf’s playing against the Boston Bruins, the semifinals. The game was intense. I stood by with Billy watching for 10 minutes. I never do this. I’m too much of a monk I guess, but as a friend to Billy I felt the need to share a piece of his world, which is right now a struggle for him.

We have chanted together before, he was once a guest at our ashram, and he had a fine spiritual experience.

The game was tied, Boston 3 and Toronto 3. As far as I can understand the game went into overtime. Then Boston scored and Billy’s heart sank for a moment, so did Sumir’s. I did admit I also got a little affected, but it was time to depart to continue my trek and to chant.

I feel that if Billy got more into chanting he’d be less obsessed with what he feels is injustice that’s come to him.

What to conclude?

Karma is a complex thing. Yes, there appears to be unfairness in this world. The legal system is corrupt, life is tough, but it’s temporary. We can cross over these hurdles. Take a spiritual recourse, that would be making a score.

7 KM

No comments: