Thursday 8 January 2009

Monday, January 5th, 2009

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

The climb up Royal Oak Avenue was not easy as I headed for the evening destination - a satsang at Caitanya and Manoharini's home. Royal Oak is a rather steep incline. Pare of the sidewalk has slatted concrete to gripe a pedestrian's feel in place.

I vowed not to bring up the topic again, but just a slight mention about the slidy white stuff: it made for a perfect episode of hard-working sweat going through ankle and calve-deep snow. A fall usually means a soft landing. It's all accidental of course and no kid's play intended. Once arrived I charaded our evening group through a chapter of Krishna Book. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Then time for questions. Out of a host of them, one youth expressed a dissatisfaction.

"I do not go to our local temple because I find little community spirit. So why don't we change things?"

In a nutshell, I responded by saying that I believed that morale could be raised but that as a mature youth he had so much to offer.

"The young ones look up to you, being gifted musically, being intelligent, strong and competent. your actions impress them. While the community is there to give we must ask ourselves, 'what can I give?'"

Basically I was encouraging him to get involved, to be active. Space will be provided. He is welcome. If we go anywhere with an attitude to give, then we will receive.

5 Km

No comments: