Friday 23 January 2009

Friday, January 23rd, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

I have mentioned it before that a monk should be out and about. There are many reasons for this. Especially where there is foot traffic new friends are made and old acquaintances connect again. Coming around the corner at Spadina and Bloor headed for the gym was Jivan Mukta, a man who takes pride in his family, and former monk whom I used to share my devotions with. I hadn’t really seen him for some time and years had lapsed since he pulled up stakes to leave the city for the better small town life. Well, he’s back in the city with clan and ventures by the temple from time to time.

It was god to converse, although brief. After an amiable talk I pondered on how well arranged is the Vedic system. What I mean by that is when one is young and learning responsibility one obtains the benefit of happy restraint as a brahmacari, celibate monk. At the mature time one fixes himself or herself in married life with blessings from all. After journeying through the role as spouse and parent one may lean again towards the simple life of monk hood. I’m speaking about the maturing years. One may choose the happy restraint again and concentrate on simple devotion as before. This has been the tradition in India for years.

Had I not set foot on Bloor st. to chant on my beads I would have missed Jivan Mukta, a monk from the past and perhaps a monk for the future.

8 Km

No comments: