Wednesday 13 February 2008

Wednesday, Januaray 23, 2008

Wed. Jan.23/08 - Dallas Texas
My stay here was on Gurley Avenue in the home of the ISKCON temple’s co-ordinator. His name is Nityananda, Fijian born, and is a gentleman. The temple is gorgeously re-made with a combined gothic church look and vedic temple modification, interior and exterior. My room was a minute walk from this location which has an award winning restaurant incorporated inside. The neighborhood is graced with modest homes keeping the Texas sky large and leaving some presence of Pecan trees. Mostly Mexican families surround the devotees community and it’s not uncommon for someone to maintain a rooster in their yard.
In my early morning japa (chanting) walk I came upon stray dogs and if it wasn’t for a boisterous local man to call them off I might not have been able to proceed.
Monks and married men and women from the Krishna order had come to Dallas for an annual continental gathering for business of our mission. I was pleased to be asked to lead in some kirtan (singing) to commence the meetings set for the following three days. I was also given access to the Dallas community of youth as we planned rehearsals and presentations of the 30 minute drama “Canto 10”.
I’m not much of a meetings person but it is a necessary austerity that helps keep order.
It is a nice service.
9 kms.

No comments: