Sunday 10 February 2008

Monday November 5, 2007

Mon. Nov. 5/07 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was towards the home of our hosts for tonight’s satsang, home program When I met an interested young man at the corner of Sherbrooke and Portage. The lights were red, so I waited and looked at the figure standing next to me.
“It’s cold”, said the oriental man. “Yes it really has suddenly turned into winter here”. I replied.
After nature’s dumping of hail stones the snow flurries came. “This is the first time I’ve seen snow,” he remarked with a child’s excitement in his eyes and voice.
“get ready, there’s more to come.” I rebutted. I wanted to say in an Al Jolson tone, “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet”, but I didn’t think he would understand the style or the jargon.
“What country are you from?” I inquired. “Viet Nam’, he said with a smile. We talked a little more but it was time to part and also time to walk. Walking keeps you warm.
It’s almost always the robes that initiate the friendship. Had I regular civilian clothes on the chances of meeting this fellow were slim. Another gentleman pulled over at McPhillips, came out of his car and offered a ride. That’s rare in the city, and in the dark. It was the robes.
Finally I reached the home of Varun where chanting took prominence over the visit. The small gathering was pleased to receive the sadhu (monk) as is customary for East Indian families.
7kms.

No comments: