Sunday 10 February 2008

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tues. Nov.6/07 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
I guess I reiterate the case of the robes and how they are so eye-catching. They excite or alert the people who notice them. About three years ago I visited Orlando, Florida and stayed with a monk and colleague, Trivikram Swami. An American who took to monastic life as a Hare Krishna devotee in the late 60’s. I ventured off on my walking downtown. As I was just about to reach the central core of the city I was approached by a young chap who pulled over his vehicle. He was a photographer, Michael Brown, doing an assignment for National Geographic covering a story on Orlando, the side of Mickey Mouse’s domain you never see.
Michael asked me if I would be interested in having shots taken of myself viewing the features of this noted city, the good and the bad. I agreed and so the following day we roamed the city for hours, the various neighborhoods with him clicking away on his state-of-the-art-camera. Between shots we naturally talked about our differing lifestyles with mutual respect.
The photos never made it to the National Geographic but my point is that the robes of a monk, a dhoti, Kurta, and chaddar caught this young man’s professional eye and so it struck a friendship.
While taking to my daily walk, this time on portage Avenue again, I met a woman who was thrilled to spot the robes. “Are you Hare Krishna?” “Yes I am.” I retorted. “ I have a sister in the movement. Her name is Sanga. And I’m Tracy………” The robes did it again.
This evening there was a talk at the venue on Maryland street. “Pilgrim Power” was highlighted. The show of attendees was skimpy to start off but the room eventually filled up. My objective here was to attempt to mentally take the audience to the road and try to see the world differently.
7kms.

No comments: