Friday 30 December 2022

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Hamilton, Ontario

Shall We Dance?

I fail to understand why some folks just don’t dance when the drums are beating. I know it can be early for some at 4:30 am when we, the temple residents, attend the chanting session for what we call mangal-arati. This translates as the “auspicious service.” This “service” entails a ritual of viewing plus a chanting session to accompaniment of musical instruments. The drum is a major feature, and how someone playing or listening to good beats does not dance, simply puzzles me.

Personally, I like to be present, where I can see a sway of the legs, torso, and arms; maybe even the head.

A small group of us made our way to Hamilton, when tolerance was tested due to jammed up traffic. We eventually arrived at the Sookham Restaurant for happy chanting. The group of locals that came demonstrated happy feet. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. To make the traditional kirtan complete, dance is necessary. Hamilton scored high in this area.

Then it was time to depart for Toronto, which these days has 90% youth attending. I was asked to lead the singing. I had four powerful mrdunga drum players around me. They were good, however, apart from sound, movement was lacking so I encouraged each one of them to step up with dance. I don’t expect anyone to be Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly or Michael Jackson but at least “cut the rug” by making some energetic effort. By the latest arti, at 8 pm, the swaying and gyrating were in full swing.

May the Source be with you!

0 km



 

No comments: