Monday 2 July 2018

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Toronto, Ontario

Had Planned

We had planned, for a few days now, to take a breather; to take a meaningful walk along a trail.  The only thing is, we could only complete one-third of it.

Billy, Amala and Isvari joined me on the trek when I did my training, and where I made the decision in ’95 to do my first marathon walk across Canada.  Somewhere between the Brickworks and Mount Pleasant Cemetery, I said one evening on a stroll, “Yes, I’ll do it!”

At the Brickworks, we made our first major stop at the pond.  An old, wise-looking snapping turtle surfaced when he saw us.  Oh, he had been gawking at us from beneath the surface of the water, and then he came up.  No doubt it was food he was after.  We couldn’t satisfy his needs other than to admire him like anything.  We plucked a waterlily from his domain.  

We enjoyed kambucha at the eatery nearby, but without Mr. Kurma, our turtle friend.

It was a steamy day, but the thick, dark and full trees gave relief.  I pointed out to our walking crew what was chicory, birch, maple, oak, Saskatoon berries, salmon berries, cattails, burdock, mulberry, and more all along our trial.  Every plant has purpose.

Billy is really the ‘belle of the ball’, the life of the party.  He really knows how to keep up the thrills on the spur of the moment.  I was dull.  What to do? I didn’t sleep for a moment last night. What the dickens?  And by the way, Charles ‘Dickens’ was an insomniac.

May the Source be with you!
12 km


No comments: