Sunday 3 December 2017

Saturday, November 25th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

Happy Times?

When you step outside in the dark you are liable to see lights, not necessarily the luminaries of the sky, galaxies or the milky way, like the twinkle twinkle little stars the skies above Utah.  It’s actually all those Christmas lights which pump up the bucks for the optimum cash flow of the year.

The lights of November and December don’t always get me “lit.”  I’m a Scrooge in spirit for the commercial hype.  I do love Jesus but not the Christmas that is not his.

Anyway, may we tolerate the yuletide.  I can think, however, of the optimism just around the corner. In four days there is something called Gita Jayanti, the birth of the ‘words’ spoken by Krishna and Arjuna.  Vaishnavas will celebrate the occasion.

As I walked from Rasesvara’s condo, at Richmond and Spadina, to home, I was witnessing the fluff of this season and it came to mind that I hope Gita Jayanti will not rise and fall like “All Saints Day,” which has become almost completely lost in the ghoulish Halloween we now know.  I hope that Easter might return to Jesus and take the Easter eggs from the bunnies’ hands.

I’ll admit that the stroll was pretty, and Queen West remains as one of the most hip streets of the nation.  It’s dominated by the youth and here, on Saturday night, you’re likely to feel some kind of hope.  It’s hard, though, when you hear that Sufis in the number of over 300 were killed by ISIS in Egypt.  Our guru, Prabhupada, had admiration for this group of devotional people, the Sufis.

It’s tragic really.  Very, very tragic!

Thanks, Corry, my cousin, for coming to visit after so many years.

May the Source be with you!

7 km

No comments: