Tuesday 5 September 2017

Sunday, September 3rd, 2017

Silver City / Nevada City

Special Treats

Today was very exciting for our U.S. walking team because today we headed off to Nevada City for a showing of the new documentary, “Hare Krishna” by John Griesser, aka Yadubhara, a dear friend.  Shown in the NC Theatre at 7:00 p.m. for one unique night only, we were in the general area and had been waiting for months to cast our eyes on the screening of the life and contribution of Hare Krishna founder, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

The theatre was practically full, good for such a small city I imagine.  The audience was moved.  I was.  For me it was fun to see fresh new footage released, such as Allan Ginsberg singing Hare Krishna with harmonium on a TV show.  The storyline was easy to follow, focused and captured quite expertly the human side of Prabhupada.  I loved the music.

In addition to film time, I managed to squeeze in time for a talk at the Satyachetana Ashram in Silver City.  Nice folks.  They asked us to stay—permanently.  Swami Puja, who lives on site, is a great host.

To meet that engagement in a timely manner I actually backtracked directionally into Nevada for ten miles which was the only distance I could cover today.  Between Nevada and some stepping around in California, most notably Nevada City, I met Chris from Jackson.  He used to hang around with Krishna devotees in the Haight Ashbury area in the ’80s while growing up.  He spotted me on the highway and got quite enthusiastic. He pulled over and wanted to offer me a gift.  “Do you smoke weed, cause that’s all I got to give yah?” he asked innocently.

And on the main street of Nevada City, after leading a kirtan chant, a young woman approached me, expressing interest in our culture.  She introduced herself as Lana Turner (like the actress).

May the Source be with you!

10 miles




No comments: