Tuesday 11 July 2017

Monday, July 10th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

With the Interfaithers

I just love it when Brian Carwana brings his group of interfaith people to visit the temple, every year.  Of the fifty he included, one person was from Missouri, one from Nebraska, another from Boston and the rest were mostly from Ontario.  Did I hear anyone came from la belle province, Quebec?  Yes, indeed, it was represented as well.

I was fortunate to have a musical expert with me, Hari Bhakti, a second generation Hare Krishna.  I asked him to do a demo on the mrdunga drum and the harmonium, both of which are used amply in Krishna Conscious music.

Hari also accompanied me when I taught our visitors what Brian usually wants featured, the chants and the dance.  That, they liked.  It’s rather unusual for the group.  In the numerous visits they make to faith groups around the city, getting everyone to move mouth and limbs is special.  I would say they were quite impressed with the deities of Krishna as well.

Then, it was meal time.  I went around the tables.  One man introduced himself as a minister.  “I’m Paul,” he said.
“Do I address you as Father?” I asked.
“No!”
“As brother?”
“No!”
“Bro?”
“Yes!”

I also sat with three sisters; most likely in their early sixties.  They came from Kitchener—farm country.  It was hard for them to fathom everyone becoming vegetarian. “Then what becomes of the cattle?  Do you just let them go?”

I believe I convinced them it could be done.  It would be a gradual phasing out.  The day will come when we’ll all be looking at the meat industry as a dying one.

May the Source be with you!

7 km

No comments: