Saturday 8 July 2017

Friday July 7, 2017

Montreal. Quebec

Responding

Human life is about service to others.
I had arrived at Montreal airport from an overnight flight, a red-eye, from Vancouver. While waiting for my pickup, a wheel-chaired, elderly woman came meekly before me.

“Can I borrow your phone?” she asked.
I dialed the number after she dictated and then handed my cell to her.
She spoke into it, asking, “Where are you? I'm at Zone C… Just a minute, this monk here said he would wheel me to where you are. Okay?”

Off we went, with me pushing the wheelchair and her baggage. It was a service. She was grateful.

Once I arrived in the downtown, I took that much-needed trek on Rue Sainte-Catherine. A group of men, drinking, noticed me. One scurried up behind me, and said in French, “ Donnez-moi vos benedictions?”
He asked for blessings. I was impressed being that he was young. I then placed my hands on his head and said, “Om ajnana timirandhasya…” A common mantra meant to invoke the mercy of past priests.
I saw this gesture as a service.

Not but five minutes later into the walk and a person in the distance shouted, “Hare Krishna! Come into my apartment and see my artwork.”
“Fine, thanks!” I was greeted by a young dog. He also wanted blessings. I also delivered a mantra to him. “Hare Krishna!” I think he appreciated it. This was also a service.

May the Source be with you!
6 km





No comments: