Sunday 24 July 2016

Friday, July 15th, 2016

Friday, July 15th, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Move and Not Move

The day constituted more of a sit-down than stand-up or walkabout one.

It was the normal 12 hour kirtan program preceding the next day's Chariot procession, which became a highlight for those of us living in the area and those who had come from far and wide.

As is usual, I had the Good Fortune to kick-start the chanting event by leading the chanting while all others responded. A half-hour time slot allows for little time to build a crescendo of sound and energy, which would inspire dancing.  We normally start slow and easy with the mantra and the support of mrdanga drum, harmonium, and kartals (hand symbols).

My body is habituated to a good walk each day, but today, at least in the morning, I was confined to the "lotus" sitting position.  It was only in the evening, when B.B. Govinda Swami took the lead, singing and gradually building up the tempo, that quite a number of us took to the flight of our feet and moved about in some devotional style of dance.

Yes it was sweet, this use of the voice and other body parts.  For me, I came to moving as if in a walk-dance, and so it fulfilled my passion for trekking and dancing. Indeed in my high school years at the dances, I used to show off a trifle with whatever skills I could conjure up.  If I was in my teens now, I'm not sure I could muster up and execute the dance steps of the contemporary approach. 

The event, the 12-hour kirtan was sublime.

May the Source be with you!

2 km



No comments: