Saturday 25 June 2016

Wednesday, June 15th, 2016

Wednesday, June 15th, 2016
East Chicago, Illinois

To the Windy City

Cottonwood fluffs move in space.  I try to catch one as it's heading towards me.  I find them hard to grasp.  A light gust maneuvers it in another direction.

Why do I do it?

I suppose I'm testing my flexibility.  You walk a straight line and keep to that 'straight and narrow' trajectory in order to make steady progress, but it's also good to break that pattern and relieve yourself from the robotic movement.  You just have to make sure you don't step into traffic.

One thing I did run into was some drama.  While walking in East Chicago-- residential territory-- two police officers pulled up to the call of emergency.  By the time I reached the apartment building, where police had gathered, a woman in tight and provocative attire shouted, "He touched me!" while pointing to the accused.  The accuser shrugged his shoulders.

I wasn't going to stay around.  I kept trekking.  She continued on in accusing with raised voice.  The drama wore on.  Her voice grew faint as I stepped on.

Ahhh!  Another milestone!  I came upon the state of Illinois.  It dawned on me.  Uttama, who was by my side for a stretch, and I had the joint companionship of Lake Michigan to our right.  The sun is bright but the waters are cooling - offering a breeze.  Ticks and biting flies disturb our rest on the grass.  I braved the lake, pristine and cool.  The swim was on my list of needs.

May the Source be with you!

8 miles


No comments: