Thursday 9 June 2016

Monday, May 30th, 2016

Monday, May 30th, 2016
Toledo, Ohio

Good in the End

There are a host of theories as to the origin of the term, 'holy Toledo'.  Like the phrases, 'holy moley', 'holy tamoles', 'holy cow', they are just sayings, and I suppose they are irrelevant.  I must say that my first encounter with the city of Toledo on this walk after leaving the Maumee State Park area was blessed indeed. 

God knows I'm on a holy pilgrimage, in America, and India with its rich history of spiritualism, or Spain with a famous trail like the Camino, can't claim exclusive rights on what's holy or sacred. 

Gopal, my navigator assistant on this trip, parked the van demarcating the final step for the day.  It was comfortably parked under the shade of a tree in front of someone's home located just inside the border of Toledo's east end.  It was Uttama, Arjuna, and I, who did the last leg of the day's walk together.  Gathered at this spot, the proprietor of the home got curious.  It was the home of Sharon King, a sandy coloured lady, and my guess, a baby boomer, who came out and did the holy thing of offering water. 

"I saw a bunch of yogis in front of my house and I thought they might need something."  A conversation began and Sharon admitted to being a TM'er, so we got to talking about The Beatles, Bhakit Yoga, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Bhaktivedanta Swami, etc.  I pulled out a small publication of 'Chant and Be Happy' from the van.  It's essentially a book on the power of chanting, and in it are dialogues of John, Yoko, and George, learning from our guru. 

I consider our exchange with Sharon to be most holy.  "Let me know what you think of the book after the read," I said. 

"I will," she said, with a grateful smile on her face.  Today is Memorial Day.  Many folks I saw today are having a steak and drinking.  Sadly, there seems to be little done to honour war veterans. 

One more item that sticks out in my mind regarding today was a most unholy remark coming from a countryside home owner, when I took a moment to pause, a break, just outside his home. 

"What the F____ are you doing here!?" asked the loud voice, to which I didn't respond.  I moved on.  In retrospect, I'm happy to have ended the day with preciousness, with Sharon. 

May the Source be with you!

19 miles



No comments: